- Company Name: Universal McCann and Amazon
- Company Name to Receive the Award: Universal McCann and Amazon
- Agency: Universal McCann
- Brand, Website or Product: Sony Electronics
Strategic Business Challenge
Faced the challenge of making Sony Electronics stand out and meet/exceed sales goals (multiple products) during the most crowded promotion time of the year – winter holiday season. In addition we had to convey an emotional message via a retail partner.
We beat this marketing hurdle with the following strategies:
- Big bet on mobile – Amazon mobile audience grew 52% during 2012 second half, so we made our biggest mobile investment with Amazon and owned this space.
- Smart flighting – launched on Thanksgiving (thru December), ensuring we were top of mind going into Black Friday and Cyber Monday (highest-volume shopping periods).
- Creating an emotional connection through personal devices (mobile, Tablet, Kindle Fire and eInk) via innovative creative executions with celebrities such as Taylor Swift, Nigel Barker and Ryan Leslie. Executed first ever mobile rich media, Kindle Fire and eInk experiences. Also, first partner on Kindle Fire to promote multiple consumer electronics product categories.
RESULTS ON AMAZON:
- Sales grew YoY on Amazon 12% over PY.
- Achieved goal of HAV receiver being Sony’s best seller, defending #1 share position.
- #1 and #3 most popular Soundbar.
- 3 of the 5 top selling Blu-ray players.
- 3 of top 10 bestselling Compact System Cameras.
- VAIO T Series ultra-book in the top 10 most popular ultra-books.
- CTR ranged from 1.7 – 2.8%
- Mobile executions realized a 20% incremental reach of non-PC shoppers and 1.2X purchase lift increase (source: Amazon).